Jan 13, 2014

Snips and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails






For the first 15 weeks I was pregnant I was convinced I was pregnant with a girl.

It wasn't that I didn't WANT a boy...but everyone on my Mom's side of the family had a girl first.  I had the name picked out, I had the nursery planned, and I imagined a life filled with Barbie dolls and hair bows.

One week before my gender ultrasound I had the clearest dream of my life, I was laying on the exam table and the ultrasound technician declared "It's A Boy"!  When I woke up I just KNEW my subconscious was telling me something and I am ashamed to admit I felt a little sad.  I wasn't going to have my little girl who loved Disney Princesses (at least not yet) and all of a sudden I had NO idea what I would do with a boy.

The day of our ultrasound might have been the most nerve wrecking day of my life...I spent the whole day worrying about our baby...all of a sudden I could care less about the gender...I just wanted he or she to be healthy.

When they finally called us back I remember praying please let there be a heart beat, please let there be a heart beat. The ultrasound technician asked us what we thought it would be and I said I think it is a boy but everyone else thinks it's a girl. As soon as the image popped up on the screen I immediately looked for the tiny flash that indicated my baby's heart. At the exact same moment that I spotted it (and let out the breath I had been holding) I heard  the ultrasound technician say "look's like Mama knows best" and I heard Jared laugh.

We had plans after the appointment to go to Target (because duh it's Target) and I spent the car ride there really letting everything sink in. My baby was healthy! It was not the little girl I originally planned.  What would I do with a boy? Jared parked the car and I started crying...I do that when I am overcome with happiness or sadness and in that second I was feeling both.  BUT, the second I opened the car door I was in love with my baby boy. Jared and I each picked something out (he picked out rocker socks and I picked out dinosaur hats) and then we went and ate Mexican (because that is how we celebrate everything...with queso!).

That weekend was Easter weekend so we filled Easter eggs with blue robin's eggs candy and had our family open them. Everyone was super excited and I think that once they knew it started to feel real.

I spent the rest of my pregnancy worried about being a "boy mom".  I was worried I wouldn't know what to do.  I love football and baseball and being outside but I don't know much about cars or super heroes.

The instant I met my son, NONE of that mattered.

I am crazy about a little boy named Hudson Jude and I have no idea what I would do with a girl now.  I CANNOT wait to build forts and play legos.  I LOVE buying boy clothes and tiny basketball goals.  I look FORWARD to playing in the dirt and going to baseball games.  He is quite the Mama's boy right now and love it all!

I don't know why I ever doubt what God has planned for me.  The second I got pregnant, he knew a little boy would change my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment